Re: Negative Summary of the Split Proposal

    What you then asked us to do is exactly what you said you wouldn't ask us
    to do.  You want us to STOP supporting non-free software.  You want us to
    take it off our main servers.  You want us to remove ALL mention of it
    from anyplace it can be found.

This is a grievous misrepresentation; I have not asked Debian to do
any of these things.

I have asked Debian to provide A main server that holds only the free
software.  This doesn't mean removing the non-free packages from ALL
the main Debian servers, only from ONE or some of them.

I have asked for the web pages to be separated, so that we can refer
to the free part alone.  This means removing the reference to non-free
packages from PART of the Debian web pages, not from all.  There would
still be Debian web pages on Debian web servers which talk about the
non-free packages, just as there are now.

This issue need not be the kind of showdown in which one party must
lose.  Debian can enable you to do things in the way that fits your
values, while enabling us to do things in the way that fits ours.
Even though I think your values are mistaken, I am not asking Debian
to reject them.  I have been asking all along for a compromise that
makes room for both parties.

I hope that you too will accept the idea of such compromise.  But if
you don't, I urge the Debian developers to vote for compromise anyway.
You may dislike it in the abstract, but once it happens, you'll get
used to it.