Re: [partly solved] Re: mounting media in plasma5

On 7/4/23 08:11, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Tue, Jul 04, 2023 at 01:24:17PM +0200, Hans wrote:
But ne thing I could not understand, maybe someone can answer this:

When Plasma5 (KDE) or any other application is creating a new mount
below /media/, where does this new folder gets its ACL rules?

There is no such thing as "or any other application".  That's the point.
Every program does its own thing, following its author's own unique
vision.

According to <https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2023/07/msg00084.html>
the program involved when you mount this thing through KDE's clicky
widgets is udiskd.  Max even gave us a package name and a man page
reference for further reading.

I would start by confirming what Max said (look for log file or journal
entries that indicate udiskd actually did something).  Then, assuming
it's true, figure out how to configure udiskd to do whatever it is
that you're trying to do.  (Which seems to be something like "Whenever
someone plugs in a USB disk with an ext4 file system on it, I want you
to completely ignore all of the permissions within the ext4 file system,
treat it like VFAT, and make -me- the God Emperor of the Disk, able to
read and write everything."  I have no idea whether such a thing is
even possible.)

.
following along in this getfacl thread, I've found from the results without there being any clues that seem to mean anything to te digiKam people, that one of the reasons I cannot import pix I can see in my camera, to /home/gene/Pictures would appear to be perms related, digiKam, any version, I have the kde version, and 3 AppImages I can select by the linkage in my ~/AppImages directory or deb which appears to be a snap, is silently denied write privs. According to htop, digiKam is running as me. Currently running kde for a desktop, I prowl thru the kde offerings finging Kamosa, which also runs as me according to htop. But Kasmosa is apparently denied any access to /home/gene/Pictures, it cannot see a single picture of the 8000+ collection of assorted jpg's and png's in that path.

My /home is on a raid10, mounted by the usual fstab syntax, and I've no clue if bookworm defaults to a more restrictive access, all I know is that I can see the pix in the camera with digiKam, but something is silently denying digiKam write perms to storage I own even subdirs in it with getfacl. And kde's Kamosa can't even read a single image in that path.

All I'm asking for is a log some place that tells me what the heck is wrong, or a clue I can relay to the digiKam people to help fix it so I can import pix I take from mt Canon camera. DigiKam thought they had it fixed with an 8.1.0 spin but it doesn't work either.

Does anyone have a clue what might be going on?
Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis