Debian Installer and Frame Buffer Setup

I have a Lenova Yoga 13 which Debian Installer (d-i) for Bookworm
(12.0.0) is having problems setting up.

The initial boot screen is readable and usable but it occupies a square
in the upper left corner of the display, not the entire display.

When I select an option from the menu and let that boot, it does not
get the frame buffer right, and the result is two copies scrunched up
at the top of the screen which are very hard to read. If I go the
graphics route, I get two also hard to read copies of the GUI also
scrunched up at the top of the screen.

I have tried changing the vga= parameter to the kernel prior to booting.
I see no effect, even when I set it to "ask".

Yet when I boot to the regular installation, both the graphics and the
frame buffered work correctly.

How do I either:

a) set up the frame buffer correctly, or

b) disable the frame buffer completely and use VGA?