Re: repeat of previous question that has gone unansweredseveraltimes.

On 5/5/23 18:51, Brian wrote:
On Fri 05 May 2023 at 16:32:36 -0400, gene heskett wrote:

On 5/5/23 13:45, Brian wrote:

[...]
   * An output from 'lpoptions -p HLL2320D_coyote -l' that indicates a broken
     system.

this is bad?
gene@coyote:~$ lpoptions -p HLL2320D_coyote -l
PageSize/Media Size: 184.15x260mm 195.09x269.88mm 200.03x148.17mm 4x6 A4 A5
A6 B5 B6 Env10 EnvC5 EnvDL EnvMonarch EnvYou4 Executive FanFoldGermanLegal
ISOB5 ISOB6 Legal *Letter Postcard roc16k Custom.WIDTHxHEIGHT
InputSlot/Media Source: *Manual Tray1
ColorModel/Output Mode: FastGray *Gray
Duplex/Duplex: *None DuplexNoTumble DuplexTumble
OutputBin/OutputBin: *FaceDown
cupsPrintQuality/cupsPrintQuality: *Normal

The commaand has been executed on the server, the machine named coyote. The
machine of interest is bpi51, which gives

   > gene@bpi51:~$ lpoptions -p HLL2320D_coyote -l
   > lpoptions: Unable to get PPD file for HLL2320D_coyote: The printer or class
   > does not exist.

bpi51 is unable to the printer attributes from coyote.

Contrast that with a buster machine:

gene@sixty40:~$ lpoptions -p HLL2320D_coyote -l

   > PageSize/Media Size: Custom.WIDTHxHEIGHT *Letter Legal Executive
   > FanFoldGermanLegal A4 A5 A6 Env10 EnvMonarch EnvDL EnvC5 ISOB5 B5
   > ISOB6 B6 4x6 Postcard DoublePostcardRotated EnvYou4 195x270mm
   > 184x260mm 197x273mm CUSTOM1 CUSTOM2 CUSTOM3
   > BrMediaType/MediaType: *PLAIN THIN THICK THICKERPAPER2 BOND ENV
   > ENVTHICK ENVTHIN RECYCLED
   > InputSlot/InputSlot: MANUAL *TRAY1
   > Duplex/Duplex: DuplexTumble *DuplexNoTumble None
   > Resolution/Resolution: 300dpi *600dpi 2400x600dpi
   > TonerSaveMode/Toner Save: *OFF ON
   > Sleep/Sleep Time [Min.]: *PrinterDefault 2minutes 10minutes 30minutes

This output would be expected on bpi51.
The only thing I don't see is its shared state? but it is.
So why can't another bullseye install use these printers? Buster machines
have 100% transparent access.

Because bpi51 is unable to get attributes from the server to form a PPD file
for HLL2320D_coyote. That is what needs sorting.

The question then becomes what is stopping it, A further clue, maybe, is the error log here that reports a lack of auth, but does not say from where. that precious little to go hunting for. Someone more familiar with cups might be able to make it spit out more specifics.

Thanks Brian.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis