Re: repeat of previous question that has gone unansweredseveraltimes.

On 5/5/23 10:08, Brian wrote:
On Thu 04 May 2023 at 15:57:49 -0400, gene heskett wrote:

On 5/4/23 15:43, zithro wrote:
On 01 May 2023 14:53, Brian wrote:

[...]

Second question: is that possible to use CUPS/printing without avahi ?

Absolutely, up to bullseye for both buster and bullseye, but not from
bullseye to bullseye.

avahi-daemon is recommended by cups-daemong. Printing is *always* possible
without its being on the system, especially if it's desired to make things
difficult for all users. I'm afraid the remainder of the sentence is very
misleading and amounts to nonsense.

What nonsense? I have repeatedly asked why printers shared from this machine, that are seen and usable from any buster machine on my net, but cannot be seen or used by any other bullseye machine on this same net by localhost:631 on that bullseye machine.

lpstat and friends can see and use them, but no cups related stuff installed on a bullseye install can.

And no one can tell me why... none of the editors or pdf readers that have a print this dialog, geany, evince, etc, can't see or use these printers. I thought maybe we were on the trail of finding a solution, but you were happy & went away when an lp command line worked. But way too many of the other utils ignore any attempt to use lp if they can't use cups. For me, its a serious problem. Yes, lp works, but I'm back to the amiga, ghostscript 5.05 I had to build and an array of shell scripts I wrote to print a multipage document. That is 1990 stuff. I just looked at a calendar and found its now 2023. Seems to me that 33 years later, we should have made more progress than I can see here.

Take care & stay well Brian.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis