Re: Logging off an X session closes all ssh -X connections started previously from outside X

On 05/05/2023 10:30, David Wright wrote:
On Fri 05 May 2023 at 09:13:04 (+0700), Max Nikulin wrote:
On 05/05/2023 02:07, zithro wrote:
2. using VNC or rdesktop, I then log on to X on the machine, do
some stuff, then hit "log off" from the desktop menu.
Immediately, ALL the previous SSH connections started in step 1
get closed, hence all the shells and the GUI apps (firefox, etc) !
A wild guess is that it might be force close of systemd user session,
however it should not happen.
Isn't it this issue?

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19023885

The discussion is too long. I am aware of "loginctl enable-linger" and of user logout timeout, but I have no reason to experiment with them in action yet.

I have read somewhere that ability to kill all user processes on logout was a design requirement for systemd. It must have when a computer is not really "personal": classrooms, public spaces like libraries. The implementation is to put user's processes into a cgroup. I hope, recipes to disable such behavior work well. Default behavior may be disputed, but I would not complain that such feature exists. If unrelated (ssh) session is killed on (DE) logout due to disabled lingering than it is a bug.

Systemd configuration might be an issue. As I wrote earlier, I agree that D-Bus is more probable. It might be PAM configuration for D-Bus session or systemd user session, it might be some scripts executed on logout by desktop environment or by login manager. Debugging may take enough time.