Re: repeat of previous question that has gone unansweredseveraltimes.

On Fri 05 May 2023 at 11:40:21 -0400, gene heskett wrote:

> On 5/5/23 10:08, Brian wrote:

> > [...]
> > > >
> > > Absolutely, up to bullseye for both buster and bullseye, but not from
> > > bullseye to bullseye.
> >
> > avahi-daemon is recommended by cups-daemong. Printing is *always* possible
> > without its being on the system, especially if it's desired to make things
> > difficult for all users. I'm afraid the remainder of the sentence is very
> > misleading and amounts to nonsense.
> >
> What nonsense? I have repeatedly asked why printers shared from this
> machine, that are seen and usable from any buster machine on my net, but
> cannot be seen or used by any other bullseye machine on this same net by
> localhost:631 on that bullseye machine.
>
> lpstat and friends can see and use them, but no cups related stuff installed
> on a bullseye install can.

A very general question was asked. You answered in terms of your own particular
situation:

 * An unrevealed non-Debian OS on bpi51.
 * A well-known aversion to Avahi.
 * An aversion to the everywhere model.
 * An output from 'lpoptions -p HLL2320D_coyote -l' that indicates a broken
   system.

Your conclusion is that the printing system is in itself is defective and that is
reflected in your response. Their fault - not mine.

> And no one can tell me why... none of the editors or pdf readers that have a
> print this dialog, geany, evince, etc, can't see or use these printers. I
> thought maybe we were on the trail of finding a solution, but you were happy
> & went away when an lp command line worked. But way too many of the other
> utils ignore any attempt to use lp if they can't use cups. For me, its a
> serious problem. Yes, lp works, but I'm back to the amiga, ghostscript 5.05
> I had to build and an array of shell scripts I wrote to print a multipage
> document. That is 1990 stuff. I just looked at a calendar and found its now
> 2023.  Seems to me that 33 years later, we should have made more progress
> than I can see here.

I gave you a classic printing solution because New Architecture printing fell apart
*on your system*. I am very much disinclined to dig any further into the setup
you have devised for printing.

--
Brian.