Re: Need advice on known work with linux graphics card.

On 26/06/2022 10:15, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I agree, no need to grab absolutely newest-pre-order product. Just buy
2021 or early 2022 released GPU for example, and you will be fine.

FWIW, I've had zero problems with the AMD driver on my 2006-vintage
Thinkpad T60, so I don't think it's important for the graphics card to
be super-recent: the support for old cards is pretty good as well.

The environment will thank you if you can reuse an old card instead of
buying something new.

Re-read opening post. Author said:
"My graphics usage will be some sort of semi-extensive image editing and
Animation."

That's why suggested buying new, or nearly new, very well supported
product, on which author can edit animations, maybe even with GPU
acceleration via OpenCL if he is lucky. So it's not matter of driver
support (which remains available to some degree on your 16 years old
laptop) but performance.

--
With kindest regards, Piotr.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀