Need advice on known work with linux graphics card.

I've done one of those "build it yourself" online setups and built up
an HP Z840.  The host has no built in graphics capability.  So
requires a card right off the real. My graphics usage will be some
sort of semi-extensive image editing and Animation.

Its been many years since I had to research a graphics card.  Things
have changed to the point where I'm really lost.

I'm an ubuntu user but spent several yrs as a straight Debian user.

I know there is a level of sophisticated knowledge here and hope to
find people who know which cards play well with linux (especially
Debian derivatives like ubuntu.)

I don't want to have to scrape around for drivers or find that the
card is just not compatible.

So anyone who has something to say, especially from experience on this
please consider responding.