Re: non installed printer can not be removed

On Sun 19 Jun 2022, at 23:01, The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On 2022-06-19 at 15:47, Brian wrote:

>>> I'm less certain about this, but my guess is that it means that
>>> CUPS insists on having these detected printers listed as available,
>>> rather than permitting them to be deleted from the list of
>>> available printers and having them remain that way.
>>
>> You (or the OP) would have to say what is meant by "delete". CUPS
>> essentially *discover* printers. It is why it exists. Is that not
>> wanted?
>
> I understand the reason for CUPS' existence to be, not *discovering
> printers*, but *facilitating the ability to print*. That could involve
> discovering printers and presenting them as available, or it could
> involve only presenting as available a list of printers that have been
> entered into CUPS or otherwise set up in CUPS by some more manual means.
> (Among perhaps other possibilities.)
>
> Certainly at my workplace I understand that our Macs use CUPS for
> (network) printing, but at least at one point in our history (within the
> past decade), we had to go in and define each printer by IP address in
> CUPS on each Mac (or on the central machine which would be replicated to
> the others).
>

> I can certainly see it as being reasonable to want to be able to have
> CUPS perform printer discovery *on request*, and manually choose which
> of the discovered printers to add to the list of ones that will be
> remembered and shown as available when printing, but not have CUPS run
> discovery *automatically* and *automatically* add every discovered
> printer to that list. (I don't know with any confidence whether CUPS
> does the latter; I don't run it in enough environments with enough
> different available printers to have been able to make an assessment.
> However, I do have the impression that it may.)

I think /etc/apt/cups-browsed.conf provides flexibility here - notes explain the options but not what the defaults are. Having purged and reinstalled in my case, all lines in this file are comments.

man cups-browsed isn't helpful in that respect either.

Gareth