Re: non installed printer can not be removed

On Sun 19 Jun 2022 at 08:48:43 -0400, gene heskett wrote:

> On 6/17/22 00:46, Gareth Evans wrote:

> cups has an annoying habit of considering any printer it scanning protocol
> detects as precious. To me its a bug.

I do not understand what you are trying to say here. What is this
"scanning protocol"? What does being "precious" involve?

> The best solution I have found is a script you can dl from brothers
> usa site, called: linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1.gz
> (the version may change)
>
> Unpack it and run it, it will ask for the model #, and it will download and
> install
> whatever drivers that model needs including the scanner and whatever it
> needs.
>
> It will put backup copies of whatever in /opt/brother that you can reinstall
> if needed.
>
> If you have 2 brother printers, run it again a give it the other model #.
> Wash, rinse, repeat.

This is good advice for a user with a legacy/classic printer. With a
modern printer (~2012 onwards) it can be completely ignored. Debian
bullseye will detect and automatically set up any such printers. The
non-free Brother drivers are redundant on today's printing system.

--
Brian.