Re: non installed printer can not be removed

On 2022-06-19 at 15:47, Brian wrote:

> On Sun 19 Jun 2022 at 14:54:58 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> On 2022-06-19 at 14:50, Brian wrote:

>>> What does being "precious" involve?
>>
>> I'm less certain about this, but my guess is that it means that
>> CUPS insists on having these detected printers listed as available,
>> rather than permitting them to be deleted from the list of
>> available printers and having them remain that way.
>
> You (or the OP) would have to say what is meant by "delete". CUPS
> essentially *discover* printers. It is why it exists. Is that not
> wanted?

I understand the reason for CUPS' existence to be, not *discovering
printers*, but *facilitating the ability to print*. That could involve
discovering printers and presenting them as available, or it could
involve only presenting as available a list of printers that have been
entered into CUPS or otherwise set up in CUPS by some more manual means.
(Among perhaps other possibilities.)

Certainly at my workplace I understand that our Macs use CUPS for
(network) printing, but at least at one point in our history (within the
past decade), we had to go in and define each printer by IP address in
CUPS on each Mac (or on the central machine which would be replicated to
the others).

I can certainly see it as being reasonable to want to be able to have
CUPS perform printer discovery *on request*, and manually choose which
of the discovered printers to add to the list of ones that will be
remembered and shown as available when printing, but not have CUPS run
discovery *automatically* and *automatically* add every discovered
printer to that list. (I don't know with any confidence whether CUPS
does the latter; I don't run it in enough environments with enough
different available printers to have been able to make an assessment.
However, I do have the impression that it may.)

--
   The Wanderer