Re: non installed printer can not be removed

On 6/17/22 00:46, Gareth Evans wrote:

On 17 Jun 2022, at 01:56, Gareth Evans <donotspam@fastmail.fm> wrote:
On Thu 16 Jun 2022, at 22:13, Hans <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:
Hi folks,

I am struggeling with a little problem, I can not explain.

D [17/Jun/2022:00:47:45 +0100] [Job 36] Resolving \"Brother MFC-L2740DW series\", regtype=\"_ipp._tcp\", domain=\"local.\"...

system-config-printer refuses to persist changes to the driver for autodetected queues with previous cups versions which do autodetect it, hanging on to the version including "...fax, driverless...".

Thanks,
Gareth
cups has an annoying habit of considering any printer it scanning protocol
detects as precious. To me its a bug.

The best solution I have found is a script you can dl from brothers
usa site, called: linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1.gz
(the version may change)

Unpack it and run it, it will ask for the model #, and it will download and install whatever drivers that model needs including the scanner and whatever it needs.

It will put backup copies of whatever in /opt/brother that you can reinstall
if needed.

If you have 2 brother printers, run it again a give it the other model #.
Wash, rinse, repeat.

You then have total control of the printer(s) at localhost:631 in firefox and
can configure it more than once for various jobs. My bigger ink squirter
is an mfc-j6920dw which has a scanner and an ADF, handles paper up to
11x17 inch tabloid even in the scanner, two front tray's for various papers.

I keep high priced glossy photo paper in tray 1, and decent duplex rated
copy paper in the bottom, tray 2.

The default driverless printer you cannot uninstall can be told to use tray 2
but has no problem wasting 20 sheets of 50+ cents a sheet photo paper it
can't do duplex on, which is maddening.

It is a little slow, and needs more paper midway thru a 1000 page duplexed
document which it can do in something over an hour. if it runs out of ink
mid-job, it will hold the job while asking you for whatever color it needs,
then will reprime that color and continue the job.

I also have their budget priced hll2320 laser b&w that spits out duplexed
stuff at 20 pages a minute. Both work flawlessly once configured in cups.

In my 20+ years of running a linux only site, Brothers support for linux
users is the best in the industry. I have run close to 50 reams of paper
thru these and the only thing I can complain about is hand feeding that
tabloid paper thru a slot in the back, very difficult to feed it straight thru.

But its also a great way to print the output of rockhopper, a utility that
scans a linuxcnc configured machine and will spit out an .svg file you print in
multipage poster mode that is a great help in finding configuration flaws.
PITA to paste up and might need a whole sheet of cheap plywood to hold it
but its priceless when analyzing the logic.

Take care & stay well, Gareth

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis