Re: xterm. Valid /etc/apt/sources.list [Was 26th pass]

On Sun, Jun 12, 2022 at 08:08:49AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 12, 2022 at 07:53:21AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> > gene@coyote:~$ bash: xterm: command not found
> >
> > xterm cannot be found by synaptic or apt either.
>
> unicorn:~$ apt policy xterm
> xterm:
>   Installed: 366-1+deb11u1
>   Candidate: 366-1+deb11u1
>   Version table:
>  *** 366-1+deb11u1 500
>         500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> Your sources are broken, Gene.
>
> > So I'll repeat, what is this magic xterm? What do I install to get it?
>
> You don't need to run xterm specifically.  You can use any freaking
> terminal.
>
> That should have been obvious to anyone who's been running Linux as
> long as you have.
>
> However, now we have a claim that in addition to all your *other* problems,
> you have broken Debian sources on at least one of your systems.  No
> actual *proof*, mind you.  Just a claim.
>
> Or... is it even Debian?  Hell.  It's probably not.  It's probably
> your heavily customized version of Raspbian that only a dozen people on
> Earth use.

Gene

Cat /etc/apt/sources.list

Check that it doesn't _only_ have non-networked sources / that everything
has been commented out with a # if you weren't validly on a network to
start with.

Mine looks something like this:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye-security main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye-security main contrib non-free

# bullseye-update, to get updates before a point release is made:
# see https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_updates_and_backports

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-updates main contrib non-free

A couple of wrapped lines but you should be able to figure it out else

https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList

Hope this helps

Andy Cater