Re: xterm. Was: 26th pass at installing 11-3, fails

Hi,

Gene Heskett wrote:
> xterm cannot be found by synaptic or apt either.

The package xterm exists and has versions in all current releases of Debian.
See:
  https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/xterm

Try

  sudo apt-get install xterm

or

  sudo apt install xterm

> So I'll repeat, what is this magic xterm?

It is about the oldest terminal emulator of the X Window System.
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xterm
says:

  "Initial release	1984; 38 years ago
   [...]
   xterm originated prior to the X Window System. It was originally
   written as a stand-alone terminal emulator for the VAXStation 100
   (VS100) by Mark Vandevoorde, a student of Jim Gettys, in the summer
   of 1984, when work on X started. It rapidly became clear that it
   would be more useful as part of X than as a standalone program, so
   it was retargeted to X.
   [...]
   Most terminal emulators for X started as variations on xterm."

So termit and Konsole are just new-fangled remakes. :))

Have a nice day :)

Thomas