Re: xterm. Was Re: 26th pass at installing 11-3, fails

On Sunday, 12 June 2022 03:21:50 EDT Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > The fact remains that xterm is not in the pulldown menu's, I have
> > konsole and termit, and termit will work from x and give me mouse
> > driven copy/ paste. But its a teeny litle thing on this monitors
> > screen.
>
> Execute
>
>   xterm &

root@coyote:~# xterm &
[1] 3504
root@coyote:~# -bash: xterm: command not found
^C
[1]+  Exit 127                xterm
root@coyote:~#
logout
gene@coyote:~$ xterm &
[1] 3533
gene@coyote:~$ bash: xterm: command not found

xterm cannot be found by synaptic or apt either.

So I'll repeat, what is this magic xterm? What do I install to get it?

What I do have is konsole and termit, no xterm.

> in one of the terminal windows which the pulldown menu gives you.
> There should pop up a xterm window with black background and white
> writing.
>
> man xterm gives a lot of options which influence the look of the
> terminal window. My favorite look is achieved by
>
>   xterm -geometry 80x24 -bg wheat -fg black -sl 10000 +sb &
>
> (+sb suppresses the scroll bar. Scroll up and down by Shift+PageUp and
>  Shift+PageDown. -sl 10000 gives a long scroll memory.)
>
> Repeat as often as needed to get the desired number of xterms.
>
> Consider to put your favorite xterm command into a script, so you can
> start it by a simple shell command like
>   my_xterm
>
> (Consider to learn how to add such a command to the menus of the
> desktop or window manager. I gave my fvwm an "xterm" button by this
> line in ~/.fvwm2rc :
>   *FvwmButtons xterm linuxterm.xpm Exec xterm -bg wheat -fg black -sl
> 10000 +sb -title xterm )
>

> If the default character size is too small for you:
>
> Ctrl+RightMouseButton in the xterm window gives a menu with sizes
>   Default  Unreadable  Tiny  Small  Medium  Large  Huge
>
> If you are willing to dive into the sea of fonts, search the web for
> proposals like
>
>   xterm ...other.options... -fn '*courier-bold-r*140*' &
>
>   xterm ...other.options... -fn 10x20 &
>
> Found on:
>
> https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/x-window-system/9780937175149/Cha
> pter05.html where i read:
>   "This wouldn’t be so bad if a typical font name wasn’t mind-bending
> at first glance."
>
> (Ah ... 1990s nostalgy ...)
>

> Have a nice day :)
>
> Thomas