xterm. Was Re: 26th pass at installing 11-3, fails

Hi,

Gene Heskett wrote:
> The fact remains that xterm is not in the pulldown menu's, I have konsole
> and termit, and termit will work from x and give me mouse driven copy/
> paste. But its a teeny litle thing on this monitors screen.

Execute

  xterm &

in one of the terminal windows which the pulldown menu gives you.
There should pop up a xterm window with black background and white writing.

man xterm gives a lot of options which influence the look of the terminal
window. My favorite look is achieved by

  xterm -geometry 80x24 -bg wheat -fg black -sl 10000 +sb &

(+sb suppresses the scroll bar. Scroll up and down by Shift+PageUp and
 Shift+PageDown. -sl 10000 gives a long scroll memory.)

Repeat as often as needed to get the desired number of xterms.

Consider to put your favorite xterm command into a script, so you can
start it by a simple shell command like
  my_xterm

(Consider to learn how to add such a command to the menus of the desktop
or window manager. I gave my fvwm an "xterm" button by this line
in ~/.fvwm2rc :
  *FvwmButtons xterm linuxterm.xpm Exec xterm -bg wheat -fg black -sl 10000 +sb -title xterm
)

If the default character size is too small for you:

Ctrl+RightMouseButton in the xterm window gives a menu with sizes
  Default  Unreadable  Tiny  Small  Medium  Large  Huge

If you are willing to dive into the sea of fonts, search the web for
proposals like

  xterm ...other.options... -fn '*courier-bold-r*140*' &

  xterm ...other.options... -fn 10x20 &

Found on:
  https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/x-window-system/9780937175149/Chapter05.html
where i read:
  "This wouldn’t be so bad if a typical font name wasn’t mind-bending at
   first glance."

(Ah ... 1990s nostalgy ...)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas