Re: toshiba video problem

On Wed, 06 Apr 2022 02:50:01 +0200, Charles Curley
<charlescurley@charlescurley.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Apr 2022 13:09:57 -0400
>Noah Sombrero <fedora@fea.st> wrote:
>
>> Finally, there is a caviat to all this.  Laptops many times take a
>> piece of motherboard ram for video ram, and larger resolutions take
>> more video ram.  That while debian appears to take another piece of
>> ram for itself in a ramdisk.
>
>Two thoughts here.
>
>* As far as I know, the only RAM disk Debian uses routinely is the
>  initial ram disk, or initrd. Mine tend to run about 48 MB, although I
>  believe that is compressed. So that shouldn't be that big of a factor.
>
>* I believe that by the time Linux is ready to launch anything using a
>  GUI other than the initial frame buffer it is done with and has
>  discarded the initrd.

Ok.

>* Can you limit the amount of RAM used for video in the BIOS?

Cannot.  I see that this old p4 cpu can be split into 2 logical cpu's.
Would this be an advantage?  It is enabled.

>> This laptop originally came with 500mb ram and that was fine with win
>> xp.  It now has 1.25 gb, and it is not enough for 1440x900 video and
>> debian.  Parts of the display start flashing as video and program
>> usage start moving things around.  And then debian dies.  I was able
>> to get it back using restore boot.
>
>Odd. The OS should not be stepping on the video memory. Or vice versa.

Everything is ok until I load a program of any size, pan, kmail,
thunderbird, worker file manager.  Worker immediately freezes up
debian.  This was not true at 1024x768.

--
Noah Sombrero