Re: toshiba video problem

On Tue, 05 Apr 2022 18:40:02 +0200, Noah Sombrero <fedora@fea.st>
wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Apr 2022 17:00:01 +0200, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org>
>wrote:
>
>>Felix Miata wrote:
>>> Noah Sombrero composed on 2022-04-04 22:59 (UTC-0400):

>>> Upthread you indicated
>>> <https://support.dynabook.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=638291&isFromTOCLink=false>
>>> provided the specifications for your laptop. They conflict with the above
>>> 2560x1080 commands, at 1440x900. Are you using this laptop with 2 displays? With
>>> only an external display? My reading of this thread before now suggests use only
>>> of the laptop's 1440x900 display, and that's what my previous comments and
>>> suggestions were directed to.
>>
>>People are quoting without retaining attribution. I supplied the
>>HDMI1 2560x1080 lines as an example of format, and I assume that
>>Noah is using a 1440x900 modeline aimed at LVDS-1, based on
>>previous statements.
>
>Yes, thanks, Dan.  The issue now is a way to make the xrandr
>adjustments permanent.  The entry to .xprofile did not work.  Also not
>in .profile.  I do get noticeable results now using this in xorg.conf
>
>Section "Monitor"
>    Identifier "LVDS-1"
>    Modeline   "1440x900" 106.47 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 901 904 932
>EndSection
>
>It looks like it is making two attempts, both of which fail.  Debian
>has marked the file as read only, so I am pretty sure it is not being
>ignored.
>
>My feeling is that something is missing.  Suggestions?
>
>>-dsr-

Here's something that did work.  Cinnamon de has in the Preferences
part of the main menu an entry labeled Startup Preferences.  Here you
can enter a script file marked as executable with the three xrandr
commands you need.  The default provided is simply xrandr.

Finally, there is a caviat to all this.  Laptops many times take a
piece of motherboard ram for video ram, and larger resolutions take
more video ram.  That while debian appears to take another piece of
ram for itself in a ramdisk.  This laptop originally came with 500mb
ram and that was fine with win xp.  It now has 1.25 gb, and it is not
enough for 1440x900 video and debian.  Parts of the display start
flashing as video and program usage start moving things around.  And
then debian dies.  I was able to get it back using restore boot.

Yes, I have another gb of ram on the way.  I hope that will be
sufficient.
--
Noah Sombrero