Re: toshiba video problem

On 2022-04-04 at 15:40, Noah Sombrero wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Apr 2022 14:20:01 +0200, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org>
> wrote:
>
>>Noah Sombrero wrote:
>>> I installed deb 11.3 on my old toshiba satellite laptop (p25 s509),
>>> yes p4, 1.25 gb ram.  It should work, and it does except that the
>>> display is offset to the top and the right.  I have not found any
>>> reference on the web that shows how to adjust that, although there are
>>> some before xrandr when xorg.conf was still used, that might have done
>>> it.  Since then, everything is supposed to be automatic and simply
>>> work.  No workee.
>>
>>This is just some quirk of how Toshiba chose to implement this
>>display, and it can be fixed with an altered modeline.
>>
>>In xorg.conf, or a file in xorg.conf.d, you need an entry of
>>this format. Note that this is an example of the format, not the
>>right answer for you - among other things, I bet it's not
>>connected on HDMI.:
>>
>>Section "Monitor"
>>    Identifier "Monitor-HDMI1"
>>    VendorName "LGD"
>>    ModelName "ULTRAWIDE"
>>    Modeline "2560x1080" 185.580 2560 2624 2688 2784 1080 1083 1093 1111 -HSync -VSync
>>    Option "PreferredMode" "2560x1080"
>>EndSection
>>
>>Via xrandr instead, applying such a thing would look like this:
>>
>>xrandr --newmode "2560x1080" 185.580 2560 2624 2688 2784 1080 1083 1093 1111 -HSync -VSync
>>xrandr --addmode HDMI1 "2560x1080"
>>xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode "2560x1080"
>>
>>So that's the how. The what is best explained by this web page:
>>https://arachnoid.com/modelines/
>>
>>Which should be enough for you to work out the specific timings
>>needed to get this screen to work.
>
> I see, the output name is LVDS-1.  That worked.
> Both problems solved.  Thanks guys.  I sure hope the next time I start
> debian, those video settings will be retained.

Speaking as someone who recently had to play around with xrandr's mode
options, albeit for a different purpose: they almost certainly won't. My
expectation - which I'll admit is not yet confirmed - is that this mode
data is stored in the running X instance, and that when that instance of
X shuts down the added mode (never mind the fact of which mode had most
recently been selected) will be lost.

What I wound up doing is putting the necessary xrandr invocations in
~/.xinitrc (which, on this system, previously had not existed), with a
line at the end which invokes /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, which is how the
window manager has been getting launched until this point.

Depending on how you launch X, you may wind up needing to use some other
file, but you'll almost certainly need to arrange for these xrandr
commands to get run after X is running and before anything you actually
interact with runs.

I actually have a script which manages to nearly automate all of this,
but it's not quite elegant and robust enough for me to want to share it
with the world, and I don't expect to be able to refine it the rest of
the way until I need to restart X again - which probably means until the
next time I have a power outage.

--
   The Wanderer