toshiba video problem

I installed deb 11.3 on my old toshiba satellite laptop (p25 s509),
yes p4, 1.25 gb ram.  It should work, and it does except that the
display is offset to the top and the right.  I have not found any
reference on the web that shows how to adjust that, although there are
some before xrandr when xorg.conf was still used, that might have done
it.  Since then, everything is supposed to be automatic and simply
work.  No workee.

I suspect it is a video driver issue, but there doesn't seem to be a
source for the NVIDIA® GeForce? FX Go5200, not even from nvidia.  I
did find a good online source for the original toshiba laptop drivers
but they are for win xp, nothing for linux.

Is there some way to fix this?  Am I asking in the right place?
--
Noah Sombrero