Re: firefox and limited bookmarks. WTH?

On 22/01/2022 22:52, gene heskett wrote:

Sorry but I don't understand your connection between logged in pages
(in cookies) and bookmarks. Are you saying now, that you lost
bookmarks list in your Firefox profile?

lost bookmarks, hundreds.

I see. I didn't understood you originally. You were saying first about
being logged out of banking, which has nothing to do with bookmarks.

Or that you have been logged
out of some pages? If that's the bookmarks saved in your Firefox
profile, what steps have you taken to save/preserve/restore your
profile?

Well obviously they want that stuff "in the cloud" so they can browse it
and sell me stuff. So just as obviously I have ignored all that
'cloud' bs.

Let me ask again. You upgraded your system. Did you took any steps to
save/preserve/restore your Firefox profile? If not, you could be using
brand new profile.
All your bookmarks are all there I bet, in ~/.mozilla/firefox. Go to
that folder and have a look. Your profiles should be there. There could
be more than one.
To switch between profiles, launch Firefox with "--ProfileManager"
parameter.
Like:
firefox --ProfileManager
from terminal or ALT+F2 runner, for example.

Also, Firefox has GUI-based bookmark manager called Library. Open
"Manage Bookmarks" from Firefox menu, or press Ctrl+Shift+O to access it.
There, you have Import and Backup menu. See Restore menu - you will see
all bookmark backups taken by Firefox over many months. Also, you can
select Choose file... to import bookmark backup from other profile.

All bookmark backups are sitting in ~/.mozilla/firefox/name of your
profile/bookmarkbackups/ directory.

Historically If the bank times out the cookie, they'll ask me a secondary
security question before letting me in, but that, until now has never
removed a bookmark.

No, browsing whatever page, your bank, yahoo.com, google, or really
whatever, that has nothing to do with bookmarks. No page is able to
remove your bookmark, EVER. Please don't confuse cookies and logged in
state via cookie with bookmarks, they are two separate things.

With 32 gigs of ram in this machine, and /home is a
2T raid10 on SSD's, restricting memory or storage space used for
bookmarks & passwds is a total and absolute non-starter.

Sorry I didn't understand what you mean by that.

So why isn't ff saving bookmarks?

It is. Everything is working fine. I have same bookmarks profile in
Firefox for last 10 years or more. Migrating between Windows and Linux
alike. Sometimes by cloud, sometimes by exported bookmarks file,
sometimes by implanting my profile onto new machine.

Since chromium is on its way out, and you can probably
hear me cheering that from there, what else is their today?

Firefox is working absolutely fine. PEBCAC. Learn to use it a bit more.
Please try again with ~/.mozilla/firefox and "firefox -P" and bookmark
Library tricks as mentioned above.

--
With kindest regards, Piotr.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀