Re: firefox and limited bookmarks. WTH?

On Saturday, January 22, 2022 6:57:25 PM EST piorunz wrote:
> On 22/01/2022 22:52, gene heskett wrote:
> >> Sorry but I don't understand your connection between logged in pages
> >> (in cookies) and bookmarks. Are you saying now, that you lost
> >> bookmarks list in your Firefox profile?
> >
> > lost bookmarks, hundreds.
>
> I see. I didn't understood you originally. You were saying first about
> being logged out of banking, which has nothing to do with bookmarks.
>
> >> Or that you have been logged
> >> out of some pages? If that's the bookmarks saved in your Firefox
> >> profile, what steps have you taken to save/preserve/restore your
> >> profile?
none other than an amanda backup. That drive went from working normally
to fully self destructed overnight. One of 3 2T seagate drives, 2 of
which have now failed, the third one has my amanda backups for the last
59 days of the failed drives life. I feel like I'm sitting next to a
ticking time bomb.

> > Well obviously they want that stuff "in the cloud" so they can browse
> > it and sell me stuff. So just as obviously I have ignored all that
> > 'cloud' bs.
>
> Let me ask again. You upgraded your system. Did you took any steps to
> save/preserve/restore your Firefox profile? If not, you could be using
> brand new profile.
> All your bookmarks are all there I bet, in ~/.mozilla/firefox. Go to
> that folder and have a look. Your profiles should be there. There could
> be more than one.
> To switch between profiles, launch Firefox with "--ProfileManager"
> parameter.
> Like:
> firefox --ProfileManager
> from terminal or ALT+F2 runner, for example.
>
> Also, Firefox has GUI-based bookmark manager called Library. Open
> "Manage Bookmarks" from Firefox menu, or press Ctrl+Shift+O to access
> it. There, you have Import and Backup menu. See Restore menu - you
> will see all bookmark backups taken by Firefox over many months. Also,
> you can select Choose file... to import bookmark backup from other
> profile.

All well and good, till I found I don't own the .mozilla/firefox
directory and I of coarse don't have perms. See my post from 10 minutes
or so earlier.

> All bookmark backups are sitting in ~/.mozilla/firefox/name of your
> profile/bookmarkbackups/ directory.
>
> > Historically If the bank times out the cookie, they'll ask me a
> > secondary security question before letting me in, but that, until
> > now has never removed a bookmark.
>
> No, browsing whatever page, your bank, yahoo.com, google, or really
> whatever, that has nothing to do with bookmarks. No page is able to
> remove your bookmark, EVER. Please don't confuse cookies and logged in
> state via cookie with bookmarks, they are two separate things.
>
> > With 32 gigs of ram in this machine, and /home is a
> > 2T raid10 on SSD's, restricting memory or storage space used for
> > bookmarks & passwds is a total and absolute non-starter.
>
> Sorry I didn't understand what you mean by that.
>
> > So why isn't ff saving bookmarks?
>
> It is. Everything is working fine. I have same bookmarks profile in
> Firefox for last 10 years or more. Migrating between Windows and Linux
> alike. Sometimes by cloud, sometimes by exported bookmarks file,
> sometimes by implanting my profile onto new machine.

But I'd wager, since that is in your home dir, that you own every byte of
it, For some reason I don't.

> > Since chromium is on its way out, and you can probably
> > hear me cheering that from there, what else is their today?
>
> Firefox is working absolutely fine. PEBCAC. Learn to use it a bit more.
> Please try again with ~/.mozilla/firefox and "firefox -P" and bookmark
> Library tricks as mentioned above.

But first, I have to own it,and I don't.

> --
> With kindest regards, Piotr.
>
> ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
> ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
> ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org/
> ⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀
>
> .
Take care Piotr.