Re: firefox and limited bookmarks. WTH?

On Saturday, January 22, 2022 4:02:37 PM EST piorunz wrote:
> On 22/01/2022 20:05, gene heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all ff experts;
> >
> > Since installing bullseye, and your version of firefox
>
> Oldstable (Debian 10 Buster), and Oldoldstable (Debian 9 Stretch) are
> using EXACTLY the same version of Firefox, 91.5.0. Nothing has changed
> on that front.
> See here:
> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/firefox-esr
>
> , discovering that
>
> > dissenter is history, I just found that firefoxes forever retention
> > of
> > bookmarks now has a max limit set way too low, or a timeout that is
> > quicker than it is useful. Looking at bookmarks, and its been about a
> > month since I logged in to move a few sheckels around, I needed to do
> > that again, and find that bookmark and login have been expired out of
> > access if not out of the machine. Obviously that, being my banking,
>
> Being your banking - bingo!! Login retention time (in cookies) has been
> set by your bank. Probably to one month, as you discovered. Ask them.
> This (probably) has nothing to do with Firefox.
> Just to be sure, that your Firefox doesn't not interfere with banking
> cookies, go to Firefox settings, Privacy & Security tab, and check what
> Browser Policy you are using. "Standard" is pretty much normal, but if
> you are using "Strict" this may interfere with some cookies.

That setting is "standard". I have probably added at least 25 new
bookmarks in the last month, but all I can see is about 10 of the most
recent, and it will only scroll to maybe 3 more, which are all ff boiler
plate at the bottom of the list.
> has
>
> > never been written down. I have foolishly depended on my browser to
> > remember all that.
> >
> > Is that fixable from the about:config menu. to restore the former
> > hundreds of bookmarks it had back in stretch, or do I have to find
> > another browser and start all over.
>
> Sorry but I don't understand your connection between logged in pages
> (in cookies) and bookmarks. Are you saying now, that you lost
> bookmarks list in your Firefox profile?

lost bookmarks, hundreds.

> Or that you have been logged
> out of some pages? If that's the bookmarks saved in your Firefox
> profile, what steps have you taken to save/preserve/restore your
> profile?

Well obviously they want that stuff "in the cloud" so they can browse it
and sell me stuff. So just as obviously I have ignored all that
'cloud' bs.

Historically If the bank times out the cookie, they'll ask me a secondary
security question before letting me in, but that, until now has never
removed a bookmark. With 32 gigs of ram in this machine, and /home is a
2T raid10 on SSD's, restricting memory or storage space used for
bookmarks & passwds is a total and absolute non-starter.  So why isn't ff
saving bookmarks?  Since chromium is on its way out, and you can probably
hear me cheering that from there, what else is their today?
> --
> With kindest regards, Piotr.
>
> ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
> ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
> ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org/
> ⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀
>
> .

Cheers, Gene Heskett.