Re: hostname is being reset, killing net on reboot

On Sat 22 Jan 2022 at 11:13:59 (+0100), tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 04:38:04AM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> > On Saturday, January 22, 2022 2:04:32 AM EST tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > Once that part is flying, tackle names :)
>
> I stay still by this :)
>
> > But, I found, quite by serendipity, in the raspios version of bullseye, a
> > fix. Look at the bottom of /etc/dhcpdcp.conf,
>                                   ^^^^^^^
>
> ...that one looks like a typo to me. On my (not quite standard, because
> I avoid systemd) Debian buster, there is a /etc/dhcp hierarchy, with a
> dhclient.conf, which gets into action whenever my machine requests an IP
> address (typically when I do "ifup foo", for foo in eth0 or wlan0.
>
> The host name does figure there: it goes out with the request, in case
> the DHCP server wants to take decisions based on that. No DHCP server I
> interact with takes notice, but they might.
>
> This is the only connection I see.
>
> That filename directly at top-level looks to me pretty raspi-specific.
> Is it configuring some DHCP server, or your client?

It looks like Gene might be talking about /etc/dhcpcd.conf from
dhcpcd5_7.1.0-2+b1_amd64.deb (or the appropriate hardware).
In any case, it looks like an instance of "make some change in
some file until it works", which is fine until any of a reboot,
an upgrade, a change somewhere else in the system, etc which
causes it to stop working.

And when posts starts appearing here again, Gene's system is
even more unlike anybody else's than it is today.

Cheers,
David.