Re: hostname is being reset, killing net on reboot

On Fri 21 Jan 2022 at 21:34:35 (-0500), gene heskett wrote:

> My whole system here, 7 machines atm, has been as high as a dozen, is
> dhcpd-less, all host name based with a common hosts file on all machines.
> And until avahi sticks its camel nose in, it Just Works. So how do I get
> rid of the 169.xx.xx.xx bs? Forever, with shoot to kill prejudice?

That's presumably a 169.254.n.n address, which AIUI the system will
create if DHCP fails to supply an address when asked.

I think your terminology is normally to "nuke" it rather than "shoot
to kill", but it shows that your approach is the wrong way round:
were your system set up correctly, it would never get created. The
idea is that if your system can't find its own address, then it gives
itself a random 169.254.n.n address so it can communicate with others
in the same boat.

I think we've been here before, as far back as March 2015, and usually
found some out-of-date, or RedHat¹, or just plain wrong entries in some
of your files when you've been persuaded to post them. As you claim
not to run DHCP, then it's particularly important that your
configuration is correct, and happens early enough.

¹ Yesterday, you wrote "And its Just Worked much like that way
  since redhat 5.0 in 1998."
  Sorry, but things have changed in the meantime.

Cheers,
David.