Re: hostname is being reset, killing net on reboot

On Saturday, January 22, 2022 2:04:32 AM EST tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 11:51:20PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > This is all well and good, Greg, but it still does NOT give a clue
> > what todo when the system picks a fictitious route out of its rear.
> Start debugging from bottom to top. For the first round, just deal in
> IP addresses and routes (those are set in term of IP addresses, not
> names). Forget about names.
>
> Once that part is flying, tackle names :)

But, I found, quite by serendipity, in the raspios version of bullseye, a
fix. Look at the bottom of /etc/dhcpdcp.conf, if there is even a copy of
that on your system, this one now that I've looked, doesn't have it,
there is an example of what to do if no dhcpd is to be found locally.
static_eth0 can be defined, and below that, is an if no dhcpd to be
found, fallback to the static_eth0 definition.

Unpublished, not really mentioned in the man pages, but edit to put the
correct for your site data in it, reboot, and its working. So at least on
an rpi4 running bullseye, I found what looks to be the official way to
fix it. That file does NOT exist on an x86-64 debian bullseye install. As
to how you fix it on debian, I've not a clue.

I'd ask on the raspi forum, but I made the mistake of asking about a
realtime kernel a third time, way back in wheezy's time, which they
officially do not support, so my posting rights were turned off. I can
login, but can't post.

However, since this, on closer inspection, seems to be an raspios
problem, this is the last post on this subject.

> > And that IS my squawk.
> >
> > I did find a fix as posted earlier, but I doubt it will work under a
> > pine tree in Wash State where these two cards will get mailed to
> > once I get a realtime kernel installed and working. And I've got a
> > v5.16.0-rc6-rt12, downright bleeding edge to install tomorrow.
>
> Pethaps you'll have to have stern words with your DHCP server. This may
> be the one giving your machines their weird IP addresses and (at least
> part of the) routes.

There first has to be an activated server. And the only one here is
fielding the radio in the router when the radio is on, but its off to
keep the neighbors damned cell phone from using 300gigs a month on my
nickle.

> Cheers

Cheers Tomas, take care and stay well, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis