Re: Debian 11 xfce

> On Jan 12, 2022, at 9:58 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 09:52:01AM -0600, c. marlow wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> I honestly don't see what people see in XFCE
>
> Uh, oh. This is asking for trouble ;)
>
>> To me, XFCE looks VERY DATED and out of the 90s.
>
> perhaps...
>
>> YMMV, I guess.
>
> That's *exactly* the point. Mileage varies wildly, especially in the
> user interface department. There are even people who don't want a
> desktop environment *at all*, imagine that :^)
>
> The real challenge would be a way for all of us to get along together
> despite such preferencial differences :-)
>
> Cheers
> --

On a debian 11 ppc64 system running on an Apple Dual G5 PPC 970 with 3.5G of Ram, xfce turns out to the most responsive environment of the ones that will work there. So that is what I use on that system.

On the other hand, on an Apple Intel Macbook circa 2006 with a Core2 processor and 4G of ram, Mate is very nice, and I prefer that there.

Once the applications are running it matters little however, of course.

I’m happy there are choices.

Ken