Re: Hyper-typematic and Firefox responsiveness in Weston.

Slightly late to the party ;)

On Jo, 30 dec 21, 19:48:05, peter@easthope.ca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Debian 11 is easily arranged so that "startx" or "weston" can be
> issued at the console command line.  That allows simple qualitative
> comparisons.
>
> In weston, keyboard response can be hyper-typematic.  The briefest
> keypress can give at least two instances of the key action; sometimes a
> half dozen.  That includes backspace.  Consequently keyboard input is
> impossible. This happens not in every instance of weston but often
> enough to be a nuisance. Has anyone else observed this?

Works fine here, out of the box, on a pretty bare bones installation (no
X or Desktop Environment).

> According to documentation, Firefox works natively in Weston.  Ie.
> Firefox doesn't work through Xwayland. With Wayland intended to be
> more efficient than X11 I expect Firefox to be more responsive on
> Weston than on X11.  Nevertheless Firefox is noticeably slower on
> Weston. Anyone else observed this?

Are you passing any special parameters to Firefox?

Currently I'm setting 'MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1', but don't remember if this
was necessary to get Firefox to even start or I just wanted to make
really sure Firefox is running natively on Wayland (i.e. without some X
compatibility layer or something).

Hope this helps,
Andrei