Re: OpenSMTPD won't start as part of systemd

On 10/29/2021 6:39 AM, Paul M. Foster wrote:

On 10/28/21 9:59 PM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 09:34:26PM -0400, Paul M. Foster wrote:
Well, that's interesting. Here is my /etc/network/interfaces:

===

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

===

There's nothing in /etc/network/interfaces.d/ . This is a stock
Debian 11
install, so whatever's in this file hasn't been messed with. No
mention of
eno1. However, it DOES come up. Any clues?
There's no such thing as a "stock install".  There are many possible
installs, depending on which choices you make during the installation.

If your interface isn't defined in /e/n/i then the most likely place
it's being brought up is in Network-Manager.  If it's not N-M then
perhaps someone has configured your system to use systemd-networkd,
but that's not enabled by default in Debian, so it's far less common.

How about "/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/Wired connection 1"
(who comes up with these Windows filenames?):

===

[connection]
id=Wired connection 1
uuid=7bb23b3a-c750-4c65-ae82-164f7359ea7d
type=802-3-ethernet

[802-3-ethernet]

[ipv4]
method=auto

[ipv6]
method=auto
ip6-privacy=2

===

"Stock install" in this case means I just let the installer set up the
networking, etc. Since eno1 is the wired connection, I assume this is
where it gets set up. However, this doesn't really answer the question
of why eno1 apparently not ready when OpenSMTPd wants to start.

Race condition, it looks like your interface is broaght up after the
smtp service.

--
John Doe