Re: OpenSMTPD won't start as part of systemd

On 10/28/21 9:59 PM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 09:34:26PM -0400, Paul M. Foster wrote:
Well, that's interesting. Here is my /etc/network/interfaces:

===

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

===

There's nothing in /etc/network/interfaces.d/ . This is a stock Debian 11
install, so whatever's in this file hasn't been messed with. No mention of
eno1. However, it DOES come up. Any clues?
There's no such thing as a "stock install".  There are many possible
installs, depending on which choices you make during the installation.

If your interface isn't defined in /e/n/i then the most likely place
it's being brought up is in Network-Manager.  If it's not N-M then
perhaps someone has configured your system to use systemd-networkd,
but that's not enabled by default in Debian, so it's far less common.

How about "/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/Wired connection 1" (who comes up with these Windows filenames?):

===

[connection]
id=Wired connection 1
uuid=7bb23b3a-c750-4c65-ae82-164f7359ea7d
type=802-3-ethernet

[802-3-ethernet]

[ipv4]
method=auto

[ipv6]
method=auto
ip6-privacy=2

===

"Stock install" in this case means I just let the installer set up the networking, etc. Since eno1 is the wired connection, I assume this is where it gets set up. However, this doesn't really answer the question of why eno1 apparently not ready when OpenSMTPd wants to start.

Paul