Re: OpenSMTPD won't start as part of systemd

On 10/28/21 5:11 PM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 04:42:52PM -0400, Paul M. Foster wrote:
Folks:

This is just an annoyance, but it really shouldn't happen. As my system is
rebooting, and all the startup chatter echos to the screen, I notice that
OpenSMTPd fails to start. Once I'm logged in, I can start it manually with
no problem. When I look at the failure mode, it appears that it thinks the
"eno1" interface isn't functioning, so it can't monitor that interface.
Are you bringing up eno1 with /etc/network/interfaces?  If so, make
sure it's marked as "auto", not as "allow-hotplug".

Well, that's interesting. Here is my /etc/network/interfaces:

===

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

===

There's nothing in /etc/network/interfaces.d/ . This is a stock Debian 11 install, so whatever's in this file hasn't been messed with. No mention of eno1. However, it DOES come up. Any clues?

Paul