Re: OpenSMTPD won't start as part of systemd

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 09:34:26PM -0400, Paul M. Foster wrote:
> Well, that's interesting. Here is my /etc/network/interfaces:
>
> ===
>
> source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
>

> # The loopback network interface
>
> auto lo
>
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> ===
>
> There's nothing in /etc/network/interfaces.d/ . This is a stock Debian 11
> install, so whatever's in this file hasn't been messed with. No mention of
> eno1. However, it DOES come up. Any clues?

There's no such thing as a "stock install".  There are many possible
installs, depending on which choices you make during the installation.

If your interface isn't defined in /e/n/i then the most likely place
it's being brought up is in Network-Manager.  If it's not N-M then
perhaps someone has configured your system to use systemd-networkd,
but that's not enabled by default in Debian, so it's far less common.