Re: [SOLVED] Re: Colemak layout at boot time

On Sun 19 Sep 2021 at 21:34:49 (+0100), piorunz wrote:
> On 19/09/2021 20:36, David Wright wrote:
>
> > Then I would rebuild my initramfs with update-initramfs.
>
> sudo update-initramfs -u -k all
> did the trick. I have now Colemak at dm-crypt! Also in virtual consoles.
> GRUB editor still uses qwerty, but that's not a concern, dm-crypt
> password prompt was most important.
> For disclosure, I have full disk encryption on / but /boot and /boot/efi
> are not encrypted, [on] separate partitions.
>
> So, full instruction to achieve your keyboard layout of choice is:
>
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
> sudo update-initramfs -u -k all
> sudo reboot
>
> probably not needed: sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup, but keeping it
> in my notepad in case it's required after all in fresh install.

I usually run both, on the basis of "might as well while we're here".
Certainly the naming and placement of files for the two commands is
rather confusing.

> Problem with keyboard-configuration: should this be reported as a bug?
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration should trigger
> update-initramfs on it's own, automatically, otherwise effects of this
> command are being ignored until new kernel arrives, computer is rebooted
> with new kernel with new initramfs. Correct?

It would be rather tedious to automate this for someone who's running
it several times while trying to find/optimise the best layout/whatever.
Perhaps a warning would suffice.

Cheers,
David.