Re: Colemak layout at boot time

On Sat 18 Sep 2021 at 21:56:34 (+0100), piorunz wrote:
> On 18/09/2021 20:00, David Wright wrote:
>
> > A lot of hits from googling   grub colemak   including
> > https://forums.debian.net//viewtopic.php?f=16&t=76833
> > which uses dvorak as an example.
>
> Thanks for your reply.
> Yes I seen this page.
>
> ckbcomp dvorak command outputs the layout details and everything.
>
> However:
> $ ckbcomp colemak
> /usr/bin/ckbcomp: Can not find file "symbols/colemak" in any known directory
>

> > I don't recall the definition of "boot time password". Does this
> > denote something that Grub asks, or is it when dmcrypt is running
> > from the initrd?
>
> By that I meant GRUB editor and Debian's standard whole disk encryption
> in Debian. I don't have Colemak there. I need to enter password in
> Colemak. Yes, I think that's called dmcrypt.
>
> > Which is a reminder: is your keyboard definition
> > in /etc/default/keyboard getting incorporated into the initrd or not?
>
> I don't know that. I only have Colemak in KDE. Everything else,
> including virtual terminals (Ctrl+Alt+F keys) are Qwerty.

How do you normally login, at a VC or in a Display Manager?

Where did you run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration" from?

Have you seen this line:
  update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-17-amd64
since you changed /etc/default/keyboard and ran
  sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration?

Checking your current initrd is a little tedious: you run
unmkinitramfs to unpack the initrd, and you zcat your
/etc/console-setup/cached_UTF-8_del.kmap.gz to, say, /tmp.
Then run, eg:

$ diff -u …/main/etc/console-setup/cached_UTF-8_del.kmap /tmp/cached_UTF-8_del.kmap
$

where they are the unpacked and decompressed files respectively.

Cheers,
David.