Re: Colemak layout at boot time

On Sun 19 Sep 2021 at 09:38:26 (+0100), piorunz wrote:
> On 19/09/2021 05:49, David Wright wrote:

> > > Thanks for your reply.
> > > Yes I seen this page.
> > >
> > > ckbcomp dvorak command outputs the layout details and everything.
> > >
> > > However:
> > > $ ckbcomp colemak
> > > /usr/bin/ckbcomp: Can not find file "symbols/colemak" in any known directory

> > > By that I meant GRUB editor and Debian's standard whole disk encryption
> > > in Debian. I don't have Colemak there. I need to enter password in
> > > Colemak. Yes, I think that's called dmcrypt.

> > > I don't know that. I only have Colemak in KDE. Everything else,
> > > including virtual terminals (Ctrl+Alt+F keys) are Qwerty.
> >
> > How do you normally login, at a VC or in a Display Manager?
>
> I login to KDE login screen. Actually I have clean Debian 11 with KDE.
> No modifications to system.

I forgot to ask one more question: is your /boot encrypted, or just
everything else? Very relevant to the comment you added to this post.

> > Where did you run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration" from?
>
> I run it from Konsole.

My understanding is that when you switch to a console from a DE,
spme (mumbling) is done, and this is reversed when you switch
back again. This might be why your changes aren't persisting.

When I configure the keyboard and console-setup, I always do it
before I start X, so I can use my 1988 British IBM clicky keyboard
to login.

However, I've made no attempt to configure Grub, as I know about
the odd punctuation keys that are swapped about with US/GB.

> > Have you seen this line:
> >    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-17-amd64
> > since you changed /etc/default/keyboard and ran
> >    sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration?
>
> No. sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration asked questions, and
> didn't generated any output in terminal. I actually run this command
> several times now, with reboots, and no change. in
> keyboard-configuration menu itself, Colemak is selected,
> /etc/default/keyboard file also is all correct, but I don't have Colemak
> at dm-crypt password time, nor in virtual consoles (Ctrl+Alt+F keys).

Then I would rebuild my initramfs with update-initramfs.

> > Checking your current initrd is a little tedious: you run
> > unmkinitramfs to unpack the initrd, and you zcat your
> > /etc/console-setup/cached_UTF-8_del.kmap.gz to, say, /tmp.
>
> Unpacked:
> unmkinitramfs /boot/initrd.img-$(uname -r) initramfs/
>
> > Then run, eg:
> >
> > $ diff -u …/main/etc/console-setup/cached_UTF-8_del.kmap /tmp/cached_UTF-8_del.kmap
>
> ~/initramfs/main/etc$ ls
> default  fonts  fstab  ld.so.cache  ld.so.conf  ld.so.conf.d  lvm  mdadm
>  modprobe.d  mtab  nsswitch.conf  os-release  passwd  plymouth  udev
>
> There is no console-setup folder in unpacked initramfs folder.
>
> $ diff -u …/main/etc/console-setup/cached_UTF-8_del.kmap
> /tmp/cached_UTF-8_del.kmap
> diff: …/main/etc/console-setup/cached_UTF-8_del.kmap: No such file or
> directory
> diff: /tmp/cached_UTF-8_del.kmap: No such file or directory
>
> $ apt-file search cached_UTF-8_del.kmap
> (no results here)

After update-initramfs, you should get console-setup in your initramfs.

Cheers,
David.