Re: Working for free [was: Offensive variable names]

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 02:59:27PM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 07:32:19PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > May I suggest we get back on-topic.
>
> There's a topic?  I think we're so far from the topic that we can't
> even get back to it with a compass.
>
> > Greg Wooledge (he who has
> > disappeared) could just sensitively edit the wiki page he has
> > an interest in, That's what I would do.
>
> I "disappeared" because I had nothing more to say.  Also apparently
> any time I say anything, I'm perceived as a jerk.  Or maybe it's just
> when I stand up for myself, who knows.
>
> I've restored the sources.list entries in the FAQ sections of the wiki
> pages for stretch and buster.  We'll see what happens next, I guess.

For what it's worth - I had a check on IRC in debian-www

The wiki isn't as tightly policed and is more of a free for all: if you see
something that's wrong, you can change it. There's a creative tension between
what should sit on the wiki / what should be on www.debian.org.

I also had a quick chat with Paul on IRC

He'd forgotten about the change: it was that long ago. He did make the point
that it seemed sensible to centre it on SourcesList for him: it's no huge
matter since anything can be changed.

Each set of release notes also has the sources.list stanzas in it, I think,
and if you're coming from updating older releases, you'd be looking to the
next set of release notes anyway to see what's changed, ideally.

There Is No Cabal - this isn't quite Wikipedia with policies, edit wars
and badged issues police, at least as far as the wiki's concerned.
www.d.o is a bit tighter - not least because well-intentioned edits cause
havoc with the good folk who do translations and there's a defined process
so that they don't end up having to re-edit tens of pages for a tiny fix
on a URL, for example. [Been there, caused that, got the T shirt]

This list has a bunch of varying experience and expertise - all of it is
valuable and valued.

All the very best, as ever, to all

Andy Cater