Re: Repair partition after dd

<tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> My experience, too. I've done that for other people now and then
> (because this never happens to me [1]) and when they say "gee...
> this is taking long", my reply is "wait until we've to go over all
> that "recovered" stuff".

  many years ago i had a windows check disk of about 300,000 files
to wade through.  i wrote a program which went through that looked
at the magic numbers and then from there it was mostly string
indexing to find only the files i was interested in.  one of
the best things i ever did for myself was delete all of that once
i had the few files i needed right away.  there was a lot of old
history in there that i could read again and then i figured out
that i just didn't need to dwell on that stuff any more.

  in the middle of last winter i was trying to find if i'd backed
up all those parts of files someplace but gladly i didn't find a
bit of it anywheres.

  songbird