Re: Working for free [was: Offensive variable names]

On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 19:28:39 +0200
Alexandre Garreau <galex-713@galex-713.eu> wrote:

> Le mardi 13 juillet 2021, 14:01:58 CEST Celejar a écrit :
> > On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 11:54:43 +0300
> >
> > Reco <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net> wrote:
> > > 	Hi.

> > > Nothing had changed in this regard. Every software corporation always
> > > adored enthusiasts doing their job for them. No exceptions.

> > > Github (Gitlab, Sourceforge, etc) were and are non-free (as in -
> > > non-gratis) services, so it's only reasonable to stay away from them
> > > regardless of whom is controlling them.
> >
> > What do you mean by calling them non-gratis services? I know that some
> > of their services are non-gratis, but basic code hosting certainly is
> > gratis.
>
> Maybe we could say that you pay with your personal data, or with the, per
> network effect, power you give to microsoft to organize a social networking
> platform that’s very important for finding work, a lot more than their
> shitty linkedin

Fair enough. But by the same logic, things like Matrix and Signal are
not gratis, since by using them, you empower their controlling
foundations via the network effect.

Hey, for that matter, Debian is not gratis, since by using it, we grant
considerable power to the DDs, their committees, and the DPL!

Celejar