Re: Debian stable - updates

Andrei writes:
> How do you determine the "safe and necessary"?

I follow the security list and scan -dev for warning of such things as
major transitions.  I upgrade individual packages as needed (usually
Firefox): this occasionally leads to a general upgrade.  I pay attention
to the output of "apt -s" and make sure I understand the consequences of
any proposed removals or "...but will not be installed..." messages,
especially when libraries are involved.

But I think it is mostly because I don't run a DE, especially Gnome.

--
John Hasler
john@sugarbit.com