Re: Synaptic error message

On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 09:20:33AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I have a empty machine on which I've done a default install of
> Debian 10.7.0 with MATE as my desktop. As I intend later to install some
> non-Debian software I wanted a local repository. To have a known base to
> start from I extracted the contents of dvd1.iso to a local directory.
>
> My sources.list references it as:
> > deb [ Trusted=yes ] file:////home/richard/DVDs/dvd1/ buster main contrib  non-free
>
> In Synaptic when I do Edit->Reload Package Information it responds:
> > The repository 'file://home/richard/DVDs/dvd1 buster Release' is not signed.
>

> https://html.duckduckgo.com/html?q=%2B%22synaptic%22%20%2B%22repository%22%20%2B%22not%20signed%22%20site%3Adebian.org
> gives no useful information.
>
> What do I do?
> What should I have read?
> TIA

Richard:

Maybe earlier messages on -user ? DVDs aren't normally signed repositories.

Various folk have suggested to you how to mount DVDs correctly and how to
use apt-cdrom to add the contents to apt.

Take the DVD, mount it, use apt-cdrom to index the contents and go from
there?

Synaptic may not be ideal: you might find that your use cases may be
better served by apt/aptitude which may allow you to better see what
you're doing.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater