Re: Debian stable - updates

On Sb, 26 iun 21, 08:12:07, John Hasler wrote:
> Andrei writes:
> > Unstable is challenging when you rely on that system for any kind of
> > useful work, regardless if a movie night with friends or a big
> > presentation at work, as each and every upgrade has the potential to
> > break your system in new and interesting ways.
>
> I've run Unstable on my desktop for decades.  It's been at least 15
> years since an upgrade gave me any serious trouble.  However, I don't
> use a desktop environment (unless you call FVWM a DE) and I only upgrade
> when it is both safe and necessary.

How do you determine the "safe and necessary"?

(genuinely curious)

Package upgrades in unstable are also relevant for security, not just
new features. And you could be the first one to encounter a particular
bug, because of your particular setup, configuration, etc.

(if you do so please also report it)

Kind regards,
Andrei