Re: Debian stable - updates

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 03:18:06PM +0200, Christian wrote:
> Hi Tomas,
>
> thank you so much for your reply.
>
> > Thing is: "stable" means [...]  Only bug fixes and security patches go in.
>
> Great! That is the most important aspect for me.
> I really don't need the latest-and-greatest version of packages. All I do
> need is a stable and secure system.
> So Debian stable turns out to be ideally suited for my purposes.
>
> I've installed it in a VM for now (qemu, KVM) to see how it performs. I must
> say I'm very impressed. It runs smoothly even with just 1 GB RAM allocated
> to it.
> I'm sure it'll make a fine system as a production system.
>
> Thanks again and keep safe.
>
> Many greetings.
> Rosika

Do reference the codename for the release: that way, you don't get a nasty
surprise. If your system says "stable" today, that's Debian 10.10. When
Debian 11 comes along - soon now - you get a huge update all at once, and
things are likely to be unpredictable if you are a new Debian user.

If you say buster, then when buster slides to become oldstable, your
system won't change underneath you suddenly.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy C