Re: Debian stable - updates

On Vi, 25 iun 21, 15:02:51, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 02:19:34PM +0200, Christian wrote:
> > Hi altogether,
>
> [...]
>
> > I quote:
>
> > [...] There is a tradeoff, though. The software in Debian Stable is
> > usually fairly outdated.
> > In fact, it's usually outdated when the distribution first ships.
> > Now, that's not much of a problem for servers, but it's awful for
> > desktops. "
>
> He is of course free to have this opinion :-)

Indeed, Debian stable must be "awful" for people suffering of
"versionitis" ;)

(no offence intended, I ran unstable myself on my main system for many
years)

> Some people like that, even on their desktops ;-)
>
> If you need the-latest-and-greatest of "this specific package" there
> are usually ways around.
>
> I, for example, have a very reduced set of packages I self-compile. I
> know I've to deal with the fall-out, and I know how to. But I couldn't
> possibly do that for the 2000+ packages installed in my system. I'm
> infinitely thankful to the maintainers doing that job, and for them to
> not make funny experiments.

For people new to Debian the backports repository is probably an easier
start ;)

https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/

Kind regards,
Andrei