Re: how to use fetchmail with MS Office 365 / davmail?

On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 10:35:03 +0200
<tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 09:16:08AM +0100, Joe wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > Lets admit it ... the goal is to shovel the money to (mostly) US
> > > corporations that do not pay any taxes anywhere, to educate the
> > > children to be slaves of the corporations and to consume as much
> > > as possible.
> > >

> > Indeed. From 2004:
> >
> > https://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240057429/Newham-staying-with-Microsoft-is-68-cheaper-than-open-source
> >

> Ah... that was Microsoft's "TCO" [1] campaign back then. Memories...
> Why. It reminds me of... hmmmm. OH! YES! It's in my spam collection:
>
>     From: Lean Green Coffee <LeanGreenCoffee@yantokersu.net>
>     Subject: 1 "Weird Trick" to Lose FAT
>
> Well, duh. Old hat, this.
>
> To offer a counterpoint, a couple of years later:
>
>   https://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Paw-Prints-Writings-of-the-maddog/Microsoft-admits-that-TCO-for-developing-nation-s-schools-is-same-for-Linux-and-Windows
>
> Cheers
>
> [1] TCO == "Total Cost of Ownership". It was that time, where some
>    high profile city councils (Munich, among them [2]) were
> considering moving to free software, that Microsoft put their PR
> machine in motion to "prove" that their software is cheaper. Well,
> duh.
>
> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LiMux
>    LiMux is no more. Some say it has to do with Microsoft moving its
>    European headquarters to Munich. Luckily, they can't put their
>    headquarters in each and every European city, so now Barcelona
>    runs on free software. And the whole region of Extremadura.
>    And...

To be fair, if your organisation was *already* invested heavily in MS
Office and the domain security model, it would have been hard work
trying to duplicate that on Linux in 2004. Even now, LibreOffice is
seriously buggy and nothing like MS Office to use, so heaps of
expensive staff training and downtime involved.

On the other hand, a computing facility starting from scratch would have
very different economics.

--
Joe