Re: how to use fetchmail with MS Office 365 / davmail?

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 09:03:25AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 01:27:07PM +0100, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> > And to think that email was once a simple yet effective tool.  It's been
> > hijacked.
>
> Spammers took control of it years ago.  It's been dying off, slowly.

I don't believe it's "just" spammers. While I don't believe either
that virus scanner vendors would write viruses themselves, they are
absolutely interested in some threat happening out there. Same with
those trying to push silos to replace e-mail.

Not to say that spam and malware is harmless. Just saying that business
is opportunistic, and as ethical as absolutely need be, not more --
it'd flounder otherwise.

> While we're swapping anecdotes, I'll give what limited insight I have
> into my own workplace's handling of email.  For starters, some of you
> may have noticed that I changed my email address on this mailing list.

[...]

I know that kind of drill. The way I survived was by having a ssh
connection to the outside. Once the whole department changed floors
and port 22 was closed. I just tunnelled over https [1] then. My
direct boss knew, she understood that I was infinitely more useful
like that and trusted me on not misusing things.

(I got scolded on this very list by someone for disclosing this:
must have been one of those authoritarian admins ;-)

Ultimately, that kind of thing is what drove me out of BigCorp.
Not being treated like a human just lowers my motivation by a
sizeable bit.

Cheers

[1] Just imagine the screaming when Internet banking stops
   working.  And the sec admins hadn't the stamina to play
   https man-in-the-middle

   How I did? Socat is wonderful :-)

 - t