Re: Creating my first LAN

On Tue 30 Mar 2021 at 16:51:05 (+0100), mick crane wrote:
> On 2021-03-24 15:34, Richard Owlett wrote:
> > This is essentially a reading list request.
> > I have never administered a LAN and believe in "learning by doing".
> > I have two laptops with clean installs of Buster. During installation
> > server software was installed on *ONE* of them. Communication will be
> > via WiFi. The MATE panel's network connection icon for each laptop
> > shows the existence of WiFi sources in the neighborhood.
> >
> > Any specific suggestions for reading?
> > What internet search terms will lead to productive results?
>
> I'd get the wired connection to work first.
> You might need a x-over RJ45 cable to connect the 2 together.
> A x-over cable has the red and green wires swapped over
> red > green
> green > red
> red stripey > green stripey
> green stripey > red stripey

s/red/orange/

But if one of the machines is the OP's Dell E6410, then its
ethernet port will happily cooperate with the other end anyway.

> If you put them in the same network address range
> 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2
> subnetmask 255.255.255.0
> you might be able to ping each other then you could get ssh working.

They should be able to interoperate without any manual configuration
because an IPv6 local loop address should configure itself
automatically at both ends.

So you just need to broadcast ping, specifying the outgoing interface,
ie that of the machine you're typing on:

$ ip a
 [ … ]
2: enp3s0: [ … ]       ← en… is the ethernet interface.
 [ … ] ↘                 copy it after the % (no colon).
           ↘
             ↘
               ↘
$ ping6 ff02::1%enp3s0
64 bytes from fe80::212:3456:fe12:3456%enp3s0: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.099 ms
 [ … ]
^C

Cheers,
David.