Re: Creating my first LAN

Anssi Saari <as@sci.fi> writes:

>Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:

>> Now - could I use this non-internet-capable router as a switch?
>
>Probably. Usually LAN ports on a router are setup as a switch. The
>router may have a DHCP server running though which you may want to
>disable.
In my experiance, you should put the router into access point mode,
connect your lan to the wan port, and then use the lan ports as
additional ports.  Some routers get confused when they think they are
routing even though they can't reach the wan.  And remember to turn off
WiFi unless it is far from your primary router and you want to extend
your WiFi network.

Also, make sure you set the IP address of the router to one on your lan
that's not in use and not in the DHCP range of your primary router.  I
normally use .2 for this purpose.