Re: WiFi Hardware not detected, during Debian NetInst Install

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 16:44:12 -0400
Kenneth Parker <sea7kenp@gmail.com> wrote:

> My issue now, is that the results of netinst doesn't have all the
> pieces, needed for WiFi.  For example, I can't find wpasupplicant.

*You* can't find wpasupplicant, or the debian installer (d-i) can't
find wpasupplicant? My logs indicate that it is present, that d-i
installs it, but that netcfg can't find it when it needs it.

> My latest test, for the purpose of the Bug Report is the "standard"
> netinst.  Is it correct, that it should be missing prerequisites for
> WiFi? I didn't try (yet) mounting the CD, to look for missing .deb
> files. (Just thought of it now).

The "standard" approved, official, rubber stamped and delivered in a
official dispatch box has no firmware binary blobs on it. The
unofficial version indeed has the firmware blobs on it (unless the one
you need is too new to have made it in), and the code to detect the
need and apply it.

I am using the unofficial, with firmware version,
firmware-testing-i386-netinst.iso, dated Mar 14 23:28. On my
problematic hardware (an ancient 686 IBM R51), the firmware I need is
present and gets installed properly. But I still do not get a
connection.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com