Re: Social-media antipathy (was Re: How i can optimize my operating system?)

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 10:55:54AM +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Jo, 18 mar 21, 09:28:06, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> >
> > So while I don't doubt that the WA client *could* *in principle*
> > do end-to-end encryption, they'll do whatever it takes to trick
> > end users to share their juicy data with the mothership, FB. It's
> > their life-blood.
>
> I'm guessing the full list of contacts as well as all metadata is
> already very useful for Facebook.

I'd guess they aren't (yet) in a comfortable position to really turn
conversation content into currency. That situation might be changing
slowly. The metadata, they'll take as much as they can, this is
established tech by now.

Once they think they need the content, they'll nudge their "users" [1]
in the right direction. Watch their weasel words around the last
change in their TOS (terms of service) for WhatsApp to see how it
works. Flexible response included :-)

> > Should they need help with that "tricking users to do silly things"

[...]

> Yeah...
>
> > But then you could do as well mail/gpg. The user interface is, at
> > least better, and the most egregious bugs might be shaken out by
> > now.
>
> What (mobile) mail clients does your definition of "better" include
> (assuming they even support GPG/MIME)?

Ugh. I don't "do" mobile. I know, I should -- and be it that I should
be able to share my experience with others. But I've (up to now) found
way more pleasant ways to burn my time :-)

If "mobile" means "android", I've heard good things about K9 [1] [2]

[GAH. How I hate that Internet. A search for free mail clients lands
you into one of those horrible Tech Republic "10 best of"; they have
K9 mail in there (yay!) and the link goes to... no. Not the K9 page,
nor even the Wikipedia one. The Google play store. The whole friggin'
Internet is turning into a Google link farm]

Cheers

[1] https://k9mail.app/
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-9_Mail

-- t